What Spares to Carry?
This is not meant to be a definitive listing of what spares and accessories to carry on your D. This will obviously vary from one individual to the next. This listing is meant to assist new owners - and maybe some veteran D owners also. So, FWIW, here goes. If you would like to add something please contact the webmaster. Level 1 spares are highest priority.
- Oil and fuel filter(s) for the ISB. Some D's have only one fuel (water seperator) filter and others have two.
- A few extra quarts of engine oil, coolant, gear oil for the front hubs which tend to need to be topped off after the hub oil is changed.
- Serpentine belt.
- A kit to repair a broken heater hose.
- Fuel prime procedure. Click here.
- Air Brake check procedure. Click here.
- Basic English and Metric socket set.
- High quality tire pressure gauge to check your tire pressures before EVERY TRIP.
- Electrical tester and 30 amp adapter to check the campground power pedastal for proper polarity and ground.
- Water pressure regulator.
- Spare Tire. Many members report that it is virtually impossible to find a correct replacement tire for the D, so this is why I have added it to the Level 1 list. If you have Alcoa wheels, do not mount the tire, just carry an unmounted spare. A mounted spare is fine if you have steel wheels.
- Socket to fit your wheel's lugnuts.
- Assortment of 12v fuses.
- Emergency Road Service!
- Spare bulbs (tail light, headlight, clearance lights, interior lights),
LEVEL 2 SPARES
- Coupler to bypass your compressor filter. Click here for more info.
- Spare gas pressure regulator. Most of us would be lost if we could not use our LP!
- More complete tool kit.
- Spare engine air filter, especially if you travel on dirt or dusty roads.
- A good volt-ohm meter. Get one that can read to at least 0.01 volts.
- A pair of inexpensive FRS radios are invaluable, especially for backing the D.
- Basic pop-rivet tool and assorted rivets.
Of course, there are many other things that we would not leave home without....such as a good campground guide and maps!